Close Close

Visa registration Netherlands

If you’re travelling to the Netherlands, you may need a visa. It all depends on your nationality, planned length of stay and your reason for travel. The application process varies from country to country and is also dependent on your personal circumstances.  EU/EEA and Swiss citizens (except Croatia) do not need a visa to work, live or study in the Netherlands. If you intend to stay longer than 90 days, you just need to register with the municipal public records database (BRP). Read on to discover the requirements for Netherlands visa applications.

Short Stay Visa.

Short stay visas are for stays of up to 90 days within a 180-day period. If you wish to leave the country and return within the 180 days, you need to apply for a multi-entry visa. Short-stay visas are valid for the whole of the Schengen area. The Schengen area consists of 26 countries and with a Netherlands short stay permit, you are free to travel within its limits. These regulations are set to change in 2021, after which you may need to apply for separate visas to travel between the Schengen countries. Most non-EU citizens need to apply for a visa at the Dutch embassy in their own countries. Some countries such as Canada, Israel and Japan are exempt from Dutch visas. Check the government website to see if you need a Netherlands visa.

Long Stay Visa

If you are staying for longer than 90 days, you will need a long-term Dutch visa (MVV). Your employer or sponsor should do this for you. They need to prove you meet the requirements for immigration. If you don’t have a sponsor, Netherlands visa applications can be made in person at the Dutch representation in your country. Check the department of immigration (IND) website for Holland work visa requirements. In some cases, you need to sit a civic integration exam before you can be issued an MVV. After you arrive in Holland, you will continue your integration to improve your Dutch language and knowledge of the Dutch culture.

No Visa

Even, if you do not need a Dutch Visa, you still need to meet certain requirements to come to the Netherlands. You need a passport that is valid for at least 3 months after departure. You may need to demonstrate your purpose for travel and prove your financial independence. If you are from outside of the EU/EEA, you will need to apply for a residence permit and a work permit to be able to take up employment in the Netherlands. EU citizens will need to contact the IND to register for a BSN number (social service number) so they can access public services. They will also need to register their address with the municipality within 2 weeks of arrival.


At Mundialz, we know the relocation process is fraught with questions. We’re here to guide you through the whole thing so you can settle into your new home and a new career as soon as possible. Take the next step in your career with Mundialz.

Search exciting jobs in the Netherlands now!

Close Close
Close Close

Help others

{{ errors.first('first_name') }}
{{ errors.first('last_name') }}
{{ errors.first('email') }}
{{ errors.first('phone') }}
{{ errors.first('education_background') }}
By clicking the above button you agree to our terms of service and have read and understood our privacy policy.

Thank you for applying!

We will review your application and will reply within 5 days.

Close this window